Kebbi State has had an outbreak of measles.
Health officials in Birnin Kebbi Local Council of Kebbi State on Monday banned visits to victims of measles on admittance in health centres in the area.
The Director of Health in the Council, Yusuf Sani, said in Birnin Kebbi that the ban is to curtail further spread of the disease.
He said relatives of victims usually visit the patients with children who were vulnerable to infection.
Mr. Sani said about 40 fresh victims of the disease had been quarantined in isolated parts of Birnin Kebbi and Ambursa Health Centres to ensure that the disease did not spread beyond control.
He said the council had mobilised traditional rulers in the area to enlighten the people on the ban and the need to adopt safe health habits to avoid infection.
“A report on such visits by people that had not been infected had led to an expectant mother having miscarriage,” he said.
Mr. Sani said that 96 cases of measles had been uncovered in 13 communities in which five deaths were recorded.
He said 1,960 school children have been immunised since the outbreak.
Mr. Sani appealed to the general public and heads of schools to ensure clean environments at all times, adding that the council would also intensify on routine sanitation.